Achievements of the Commissionerate of Police Jalandhar
The Police Commissionerate system was introduced in Jalandhar in February 2010. After the introduction of the Commissionerate of Police system in the city, a large number of mechanisms aimed at providing a people-friendly policing were introduced. Consequently, the general policing is set to witness a transformation, which has started showing results in phases and also promises that system enhancements shall pay high dividends in the long run, if the performance of the last three quarters of the year gives any indication. The crime rate has come down and there has been a visible improvement in the coordination between the police and members of the general public. The police under this new system have been empowered to act judicially under certain acts of law thus ruling out any delay in execution of matters of the great importance of day to day policing.
- First and foremost achievement of the system has been establishing of an exclusive Licensing Branch which caters to grant of various kinds of licenses including firearms et al. The working of this branch has been graded with the award of ISO-9001-2008 certification. Besides this branch, all police stations and Traffic Offences Compounding Branch of the Commissionerate of Police have also been awarded ISO-9001-2008 certification.
- A large number of people indulging in organized crimes like betting on a cricket match, murders, snatching, contract killing, frauds and fabrication of fake documents were busted. There was a clear decrease in the number of incidents of fights and snatching etc. as compared to the corresponding period of the previous year. In the year 2019 only 121cases of snatching were registered whereas, during the corresponding period of 2018, 316 cases had been registered. Special campaigns were launched to curb smuggling and sale of narcotics and bootlegging. As many as 247 cases under the NDPS Act were registered during this year whereas 316 cases had been registered under the act during the corresponding period of the previous year. 24.260 kg of opium, 1.205 kg gm of charas, 619 Kg Poppy Husk, 09.510 Kg Heroin, 17.349 Kg Ganja and a large quantity of intoxicants tablets 14152 were recovered. Under the Excise Act 408 cases were registered and 476 Ltr 930 mi lilicit Liquor, 1806 Ltr 900 ml Licit liquor and 55748 Ltr 040 ml English wine. Strict action was taken against the travel agents and as many as 84 cases were registered in this regard as compared to only 115 cases registered during the previous year.
- Strict action was taken against the travel agents and as many as 84 cases were registered in this regard as compared to 115 cases registered during the previous year.
- There has been an appreciable improvement in the rate of conviction of criminals due to stress given on proper pairvi and appointing pairvi officers for important cases. The following table shows the conviction rate of IPC cases and local & special laws:
|Year||Conviction in cases registered under the I.P.C. (in %)||Conviction in cases registered under Local & Special Laws(in %)||Total (in%)|
- Submission of an affidavit for different types of services like the recording of DDA entry related to loss of goods/articles, minor damages etc. has completely been done with. In unsolved cases of vehicle thefts, untraced reports are provided within 30 days.
- In order to provide instant and online access to the general public to the traffic wing of the Commissionerate of Police Jalandhar, a new website “www.jalandhartrafficpolice.gov.in” was launched. This website was launched by the W/D Dy.C.M. Punjab. In order to address the snarling problems of traffic regulation in the city services of the cadets of NCC, NSS and others NGOS and 6 traffic marshals were utilized to educate the road users by way of traffic camps and campaigns. Resultantly, only 70 criminal cases of the accident were registered during the period whereas as many as 57 cases had been registered during the corresponding period of the previous year.
- A modern Police Control Room got inaugurated by the worthy Director General of Police, Punjab on 06.01.2011. The Control Room has the facilities of e-maps, GPS monitoring system of police vehicle etc. This has reduced the police reaction time to 5-6 minutes for reaching the place of the reported accident.
- A pilot project for introduction of ‘e-beat’ & ‘e-investigation’ was inaugurated by the worthy Director General of Police, Punjab in four Police Stations of the Commissionerate i.e. Police Stations Cantt., NaviBaradari, Division No. 2 & Division No. 4.